Monday, December 30, 2013

Face to Face with a Lion.

I've never been face to face with a Lion. Literally, that is. But I've certainly faced the figurative lions in this life. 
Whenever I think about the lions I face, I always think about Daniel and the Lions Den. I can imagine the fear that Daniel felt when he realized he was surrounded by hungry lions. 
He didn't move. He couldn't breathe.
I know what that feels like. 
Paralyzing fear.
Not being able to breathe.

Why?
A lion that is called Cancer.
I woke up this morning feeling nervous and anxious. Nervous and anxious, because my dad has a PET scan New Years Eve at Sloan Kettering in New York City. This scan is going to let us see if that cancer has found residence in other parts of his body. He hasn't had a scan since August, when we first found out about this lion. 
This scan is necessary. 
This scan is nerve wracking.

But, I find myself going back to Daniel in the den. He was surrounded by darkness. He was surrounded by hungry lions. He was alone. He was scared. 

What Daniel did next makes the story such a good one.... 
Daniel got on his knees in the darkness of that cave and 
p r a y e d to God. 
He probably didn't speak. He simply poured out his heart. Daniel knew God was the only source of strength he could rely on during this time. He knew God would never forsake him.

This past weekend we had Christmas at Papa and Nana's in North Florida. It was such a good weekend. Full of love, laughter, food, presents, shooting guns, four wheeler rides, and front porch sitting. 
I kept thinking about how awesome it is to be surrounded by the ones you love and the ones who always have your back. 
I am so thankful for my family. 
  
I'm thankful for doctors who are keeping my Dad in good hands. I'm thankful for a God who has the whole world in His hands.

And if you're wondering about Daniel in that den full of hungry Lions.....
God shut the mouths of each one. 

On Tuesday, Dad will have his PET scan. On Thursday, we should know the results. 

I'll hold my breath. I'll drop to my knees. I'll pray for God to shut the mouth of the cancer lion. 

Because this is how we feel about cancer.

We are loaded. We are Kickin' Cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment